Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chia Seeds: Blood Sugar Stabilizer

Recently, I was wandering through Costco.  What a difference attitude makes.  Having enough time makes a big difference, too.  I like to look at new products, or they might just be new to me!  It’s a lot more fun to go there with a friend.  
Chia seeds.  The package said that it was an ancient food source with natural health benefits.  I looked at the back of the package and read that it is very high in protein, Omega 3s and fiber.  It also said that it suppresses appetite.  Who doesn’t need a little bit of help with that???  This all sounded good to me!
We’ve all hear of these.  The commercials...chi, chi, chi, chia.  We’ve given them and received them as gifts.  I once bought one for my buddy, Bob.  It was Donkey from Shrek.  If I eat them, will green sprouts start emerging from my skin like they do from clay?
I bought a bag and brought them home.  Then I googled “health benefits” and recipes.  They look like poppy seeds, have very little flavor, but a little bit of crunch.  The recipes talked about adding them to water.  They will get “gelatinous” when added to a liquid.
I started out by putting some on my Lucia’s breakfast sandwich, that I treat myself to once a week.  It is a panini with egg, cheese, spinach, and pesto.  I put my Herbes et Sel de la France on and some chia seeds.  It was delicious.  The little buggers do tend to fall off, so I kept dipping my sandwich on the plate to recover them.  
I also really like them on my hard boiled eggs, salad, kombucha, and potatoes.  The herbs brighten up plain things and the seeds give them texture.  
I try to have some at each meal.
I’ve been a Type 1 diabetic since I was two.  Funny thing...they really help to stabilize my blood sugar.  As I’ve read more about these seeds, I have found more information about this.  I am not a medical professional.  My doctor would smile and be condescending if I told him, so I don’t.  I wear a meter.  It “tests” my blood sugar every 5 minutes.  I see the difference.  It’s not a perfect system, but seems much better with these seeds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment